Wednesday 2 March 2011

SMOTHERED CHICKEN

It is already March, can you believe it?  This is the first recipe I tried out of my new cookbook.  This cookbook is by Johnnie Gabriel (Paula Deen's Cousin).  I admit it, I have an obsession with cookbooks, but I can't help it.  You know a girl has "gone mad" when she would rather get a new cookbook then a new pair of shoes!  I love to just sit and look through cookbooks, but the bad thing is, I'll usually make one or two things out of the book, then move onto the next one.  I'll have to figure out some kind of rotation schedule to work my way through all of them.   


This chicken turned out good.  If you like chicken and rice dishes, then I think you will like this.  I love the flavor of chicken noodle soup and next time I would add extra. I cooked two chicken breasts that I had cut in half, because they were huge, but I made the entire sauce recipe, because I like lots of sauce.  The recipe suggested serving over rice pilaf, but I ended up serving over plain rice.   
Smothered Chicken
adapted from: This Cookbook

1/3 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/4 c. (1/2 stick) butter
1 (2.75 oz.) pkg. dry chicken noodle soup mix
1/2 c. water
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk

In a large plastic zip-top bag, mix the flour, salt and pepper.  Add the chicken and shake to coat with the flour mixture.  In a 10-inch skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.  Add the chicken.  Brown the chicken on both sides.  Sprinkle the dry soup mix on and around the chicken pieces.  Add the water and the chopped onion.  Cook, covered, 30-35 minutes on low heat.  Check the skillet periodically and add water if needed.  Remove the chicken from the skillet and place in a deep serving dish.  Pour the evaporated milk into the skillet, stirring and cooking until your mixture is thick and hot but not boiling.  Pour the sauce around the chicken, not over the top, to leave crisp noodles on the chicken pieces.  Serve with rice pilaf.  Makes 4 servings.  
     

No comments:

Post a Comment

easy apple pie recipe that will rock in your house
betty crocker banana bread recipe 1970 banana nut bread paula deen
that give mcdonalds coupons and 
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from