Friday 4 March 2011

Chocolate Malt Cupcakes with Chocolate Malt Frosting

The picture I saw of these cupcakes was enough to convince me to make them.  I could care less what they were made out of (ha ha) as long as they looked like that!  Luckily, they were made of yummy ingredients.  Chocolate and malt is such a delicious combination.  I even had malt powder in my pantry.  I know what you are thinking . . . who in the world has malt powder in their pantry?  Well, I do!  Have you ever made homemade chocolate malts?  They are soooooo yummy.  I use fat free vanilla ice cream, chocolate or regular malt powder (I like the Carnation® kind), chocolate syrup and a little milk!  
These cupcakes were really yummy!  The cake was moist and chocolatey and the frosting was thick, creamy and chocolatey.  I can't decide if I couldn't taste a lot of malt flavoring or if it just tasted different than I was imagining?  Either way, I enjoyed these cupcakes and I got great comments from my co-workers too. 

Chocolate Malt Cupcakes
adapted from: here

2 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 c. unsweetened cocoa
1/2 c. sugar
3/4  c. packed brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. whole milk (I used 2%)
1 1/2 c. malted milk powder (original)
1 c. vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 c. sour cream
1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line standard muffin tins with paper liners.  Whisk together flour, cocoa, both sugars, baking soda and salt.  In another bowl, whisk together milk and malted milk powder until powder is dissolved.  With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat flour mixture, milk mixture and oil until combined.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down bowl as needed.  Add sour cream and vanilla and beat just until combined.  Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each halfway.  Bake, rotating pan halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in centers comes out clean, 18-20 minutes.  Cool completely.  Yield: 30 cupcakes.

Chocolate Malt Buttercream
1 c. unsalted butter, room temp.
1 c. vegetable shortening
1/2 c. malted milk powder (original) or to taste
4 Tbl. cocoa or to taste
5-6 c. powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
milk, only if needed

In a large mixing bowl, whip the butter and shortening for several minutes, until very light & fluffy.  Sprinkle in malted milk powder, cocoa powder and vanilla and whip for 1 minute.  Slowly add the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time.  Beat until thoroughly combined.  If it is too thick, add a little bit of milk until reaches desired piping/spreading consistency.  Garnish with malted milk balls and straws, if desired.  (I made about 1 1/2 batches of frosting, because I love tonz of frosting, so if you want to pipe a big mound like I did, you will want to make a little extra frosting). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

easy apple pie recipe that will rock in your house
betty crocker banana bread recipe 1970 banana nut bread paula deen
that give mcdonalds coupons and 
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from