Sunday 17 April 2011

Texas Roadhouse Rolls

Whoever created the roll recipe at Texas Roadhouse is a genius and whoever decided to give them to guests as a "complimentary appetizer" is a genius.  What is the first thing you hear from people when they talk about Texas Roadhouse?  I hear "I love their rolls," I have never heard anyone start out by saying "I love their pulled pork sandwich," have you?  Don't get me wrong, they have really good food too, but their rolls are unbeatable.  

I found this copycat recipe floating around the blog world and I couldn't wait to give them a try.  Honestly, I was extremely skeptical about these.  Why?  Texas Roadhouse uses a "roll mix" to make their rolls, so I doubt anyone, other than the creator, knows the real recipe.  They also use a combination of butter and margarine (I read the package on the butter the baker was adding to the mix and that is what it said).  I wanted to try them anyway, because secretly, I was hoping maybe they would at least kinda taste like them?

Well, the moment you have been waiting for . . . . Did they taste like the real thing . . . . Mine did NOT taste anything like Texas Roadhouse's?  Maybe it was something I did wrong?  I did use half bread flour and half all-purpose flour?  However, they turned out really really good.  They are way too soft, light and fluffy to be Texas Roadhouse's.  I must say, I have no complaints about these rolls.  I love super soft rolls.  So, if you want a good roll recipe, you can't go wrong with these.  I ate them with cinnamon honey butter and I even preferred them way more than what I made for dinner.  I did eat three of them in one sitting . . . don't tell!
Texas Roadhouse Rolls - Copycat Recipe
adapted from: Good Stuff Maynard

4 tsp. active dry yeast
1/2 c. warm water
2 c. milk, scalded and cooled to lukewarm
3 Tbl. of melted butter, slightly cooled
1/2 c. sugar 
2 quarts all purpose flour (7-8 cups)
2 whole eggs
2 tsp. salt

Dissolve yeast in warm water with a teaspoon of sugar; let stand until frothy.  Combine yeast mixture, milk, 1/2 cup sugar and enough flour to make a medium batter (about the consistency of pancake batter).  Beat thoroughly.  Add melted butter, eggs and salt.  Beat well.  Add enough flour to form a soft dough.  Sprinkle a small amount of flour onto counter and let dough rest.  Meanwhile, grease a large bowl.  Knead dough until smooth and satiny and put in greased bowl; turn over to grease top. (I used the dough hook on my Kitchen-Aid to knead this for about 4-5 minutes).  Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in bulk.  Punch down.  Turn out onto a floured board.  Divide into portions for shaping; let rest 10 minutes.  Shape dough into desired forms.  Place on greased baking sheets.  Let rise until doubled.  

Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.  Baste immediately with butter.  Yield: 5 to 6 dozen.  Serve with Cinnamon Honey Butter.  

*Jenn's Notes: I shaped my rolls by rolling out the dough into a rectangle, about 1/2-inch thick, then I folded the rectangle in half, making it about 1-inch thick. I used  my rolling pin and rolled over the dough, ever so gently, just to seal the two halves together.  I then used a dough scraper and cut the rolls into squares and placed those on my greased baking sheet.  I cut the recipe in half and I got exactly 12 big rolls and baked them for 16-17 minutes.  In order to get the 5-6 dozen rolls like the recipe states, you would have to make really small rolls.          

No comments:

Post a Comment

easy apple pie recipe that will rock in your house
betty crocker banana bread recipe 1970 banana nut bread paula deen
that give mcdonalds coupons and 
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from