Tuesday 22 March 2011

Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas

Here is another recipe from Mel's Kitchen Cafe.  I have made so many recipes from her site lately.  This specific recipe was actually recommended by my friend, Natalie.  She had made these enchiladas for a family dinner and everyone enjoyed them.  I am always up for a new Mexican recipe - my fave!  I really enjoyed these enchiladas and I would only change one little thing next time.  I am not a fan of the super creamy enchiladas (you know the chicken one with the cream of chicken soup and sour cream) it's a little too mushy for me or something.  Anyway, this recipe mixed some green enchilada sauce with sour cream and topped the enchiladas and it tasted good, but a little too creamy for my taste (what a complainer - something was too creamy! Ha Ha!).  Next time, I would pour the green enchilada sauce right on top with no add-ins.  

Don't let the honey scare you.  I admit it scared me at first and I started out with only 3 Tbl. of honey, tasted it, liked it, added another Tbl., tasted it, liked it, added another Tbl and so on and so on until I ended up adding the full amount the recipe called for.  The marinade recipe is perfect as is. 

Make sure you plan ahead, because you add the marinade to already cooked chicken and let that sit for several hours.  I was a slacker and forgot to cook my chicken ahead of time, so I ended up cooking it after work and only marinating it for about a half an hour and it was still yummy, but I would like to try these after my chicken has marinated all day!  Enjoy!
Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas
adapted from: Mel's Kitchen Cafe

6 Tbl. honey
5 Tbl. lime juice
1 Tbl. chili powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 Lb. chicken, cooked & shredded (3 sm. breasts)
8-10 flour tortillas (I used half corn and half flour)
l Lb. Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
16 oz. green enchilada sauce
1 c. heavy cream or sour cream

Mix honey, lime juice, chili powder and garlic powder with cooked, shredded chicken.  Let marinate for at least 1/2 hour or up to all day long.  Pour about 1/2 cup enchilada sauce in the bottom of 9x13 pan.  Fill tortillas with chicken and cheese, saving about 1 cup cheese for topping.  Place seam-side down in baking dish.  Mix remaining enchilada sauce with cream and leftover marinade (if any).  Pour sauce over top of enchiladas and sprinkle with remaining cheese.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until brown and crispy on top.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

easy apple pie recipe that will rock in your house
betty crocker banana bread recipe 1970 banana nut bread paula deen
that give mcdonalds coupons and 
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from