Thursday 10 March 2011

German Chocolate Cookies with Coconut Pecan Frosting

My Mom's Birthday is coming up on St. Patrick's Day and I asked her what kind of cake she would like and she said German Chocolate or these Chocolate Malt Cupcakes.  I have never made a German Chocolate Cake.  I have made German Chocolate Cupcakes, but not a full-size cake and last time I made my frosting, I cooked it too long and it was kind of hard.  So, I decided I better try my frosting again to see if I could get it right, but I didn't want to make a whole cake, since I would be doing that next week, so, I decided to try this cake mix cookie recipe.  

Both turned out super yummy.  The cookies were soft, yet chewy and my frosting/topping was so good that I literally could eat it by the spoonful!  I was worried about overcooking it, but this time I decided to follow the method used for making pudding.  When your mixture is slightly thickened, stick a knife or back of a wooden spoon into the mixture, then, run your finger straight through it, making a line down the center.  If the line remains and the remaining mixture doesn't run together, then it is ready.  If the line gets filled back in, then you need to cook it a little longer.  Remember, it will thicken up when you add your coconut and pecans and when it cools to room temperature.  

I took these cookies into work to share with my co-workers and get their opinion on my frosting/topping and to make sure it was good and it wasn't too sweet and I got lots of great compliments and I even had several requests for the recipe.  When people ask you for a recipe, then you know it must be good.  So, I think I will attempt a German Chocolate Cake for my Mom's Birthday.  Now, I just need a great cake recipe to go with my frosting/topping recipe.  Does anybody have a yummy recipe they have made before or any decorating ideas?  
Cake Mix Cookies
adapted from: Clutzy Cooking

1 box German Chocolate cake mix
1 large egg
1/2 cup vegetable oil
a tiny bit of water

Combine cake mix, egg and vegetable oil until well blended.  If mixture is still dry and crumbly, add a tiny bit of water just until it comes together.  Roll dough into 1-inch balls and bake on a greased cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes (mine took 10 minutes).  Cool completely.  Yield: around 30 cookies.    

Coconut Pecan Frosting
from: Jenn@eatcakefordinner

4 egg yolks
1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
3/4 cup unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks)
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 2/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1 1/2 cups pecans, toasted and chopped

Spread out pecans onto a cookie sheet in a single layer and put in a 350 degree oven for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly toasted.  Watch closely so they don't burn.  Cool slightly and roughly chop.  Beat egg yolks, evaporated milk and vanilla in a large saucepan with a wire whisk until well blended.  Add butter and sugar and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, around 10-12 minutes.  Remove from heat and add coconut and chopped pecans.  Cool to room temperature.  Spoon onto cooled cookies.  Yield: enough to top 30 cookies with 1 cup leftover. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

easy apple pie recipe that will rock in your house
betty crocker banana bread recipe 1970 banana nut bread paula deen
that give mcdonalds coupons and 
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from