Tuesday 8 March 2011

MY NEW FAVORITE SALAD - BBQ CHICKEN SALAD WITH CREAMY CILANTRO LIME DRESSING

Have you ever finished eating a salad and wondered why you even bothered eating it, because you are still hungry?  I have.  I can assure you, that will not be the case with this one.  I was actually full after I ate this.  Not just "satisfied" or "no longer hungry", I was "flat out - full".  That rarely ever happens to me with salads (unless I'm eating a Cafe Rio salad).  


I loved this salad and I have craved it every single day since I first ate it.  This is definitely going to become a regular item on my dinner menu.  I adjusted the original recipe slightly.  I cooked my chicken in a little chicken broth and barbeque sauce with some seasonings and I did not add barbeque sauce to my salad or to my salad dressing, I only used iceberg lettuce and I added less garlic and way more cilantro to the dressing than called for, because I love cilantro.  I served my chicken, beans and corn warm on top of the salad, because that is what I prefer.  I even forgot to add the cheese and I still loved this salad!  I thought crunchy tortilla strips would be really good on top of this salad, but I didn't get a chance to make any, but next time, I will definitely try it.  I will post my adaptation of Mel's Recipe, but be sure to check out both and do what you prefer. 
BBQ Chkn Salad w/ Creamy Cilantro Dressing

Salad:
3 c. cooked, shredded chicken (cook in the crockpot 
   with chicken broth, barbeque sauce and desired 
   seasonings.  When done, shred chicken and add 
   some of the leftover juice)
1 head iceberg lettuce, cored and chopped
1 can corn, drained & warmed
1 can black beans, rinsed, drained & warmed
tomato, diced
olives, chopped, opt.
cilantro, chopped
shredded Cheddar cheese
shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing
1 c. Mayonnaise
1/3 c. milk
1/3 c. buttermilk
6 Tbl. fresh cilantro, chopped, or to taste
1 Tbl. fresh lime juice
1 tsp. white vinegar
1 tsp. sugar
1/4 garlic clove, finely minced
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. cumin, or to taste

For the Dressing: Combine all ingredients together and whisk vigorously to combine.  You could also run this through a blender to make it even more smooth.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.

To Assemble: Layer chopped lettuce, beans, corn, shredded chicken, shredded cheese, diced tomato and olives and drizzle with cilantro lime dressing.  Garnish with chopped cilantro.  Serves: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment

easy apple pie recipe that will rock in your house
betty crocker banana bread recipe 1970 banana nut bread paula deen
that give mcdonalds coupons and 
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from