Thursday 20 January 2011

PAULA DEEN'S GARLIC ALFREDO SAUCE

Just so you all know, pasta is my least favorite type of food (except homemade Mac & Cheese - Love it!).  I'll eat it, but it's not my first choice, however sometimes I try to switch things up a bit for dinner.  Ya know, try something different.  So, I found this recipe in the November/December 2010 issue of Paula's magazine.  I can't even tell you the last time I had chicken alfredo pasta?  So, I'm probably not the best judge of this dish, because I don't really have anything to compare it to?  With that said, I actually thought it was pretty good.  It was rich and creamy.  It didn't have tonz of flavor, but just enough?  I grilled a few chicken tenders and added them to the sauce and served over some fettucini noodles.
Garlic Alfredo Sauce:
adapted from: Paula Deen

2 Tbl. butter
2 Tbl. minced onion
2 tsp. minced garlic
2 Tbl. all-purpose flour
3 cups half-and-half
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg (I only added a tiny pinch)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
white pepper, to taste, optional
1 1/2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese

In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat.  Add onion and garlic and cook for 4 minutes, stirring frequently, or until onion is tender.  Reduce heat to medium-low.  Add flour and cook, whisking constantly, for 2 minutes.  Gradually add half-and-half, whisking constantly.  Cook, whisking constantly, for 8-10 minutes or just until mixture comes to a boil.  Remove from heat and stir in nutmeg, salt, pepper and white pepper (if adding).  Add cheese, stirring until melted and smooth.  Serve over pasta with chicken or vegetables.  Makes about 3 cups.  (I served over Fettucini with Italian seasoned grilled chicken strips).    
       

No comments:

Post a Comment

easy apple pie recipe that will rock in your house
betty crocker banana bread recipe 1970 banana nut bread paula deen
that give mcdonalds coupons and 
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from