Tuesday 11 January 2011

JENN'S HAM CHOWDER

My father-in-law, Bob, made some yummy ham chowder for us last week and I thought it was the greatest idea.  I honestly had never eaten it before.  What a great way to use up leftover ham.  I had some in my freezer that I needed to use.  So, last night, I decided to create my own recipe for this chowder.  I used the same vegetables that I remembered in Bob's and let me tell you, I absolutely loved it.  I really wish that I had some more to eat for dinner tonight.  This really is my new favorite way to use up leftover ham from the holidays.  By the way, this was the first time I had used frozen leftover ham and just to let you know, it tasted the exact same as it did the first night we ate it.  

I like my chowder super thick and chunky, so add less veggies if you don't like it really chunky.  Also, I used 1% milk and trust me, it was super smooth and creamy, so there is no need for all those extra calories by adding cream.  Serve with bread and you will be in heaven! 

**Update 10/21/12 - I have made this countless times since this post and it is a family favorite**
Jenn's Ham Chowder
From: Jenn@eatcakefordinner

1 Tbl. Butter
1 Tbl. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/3 c. onion, finely chopped
3 carrots (about 1 1/2 c.), chopped
2 large russet potatoes, peeled and diced
garlic, minced
1 1/2-2 c. leftover spiral ham, chopped
1 can low-sodium chicken broth
4-5 c. milk (I use 1%)
4 Tbl. cornstarch dissolved in 1/4 c. water
1 can corn, drained
2 tsp. Italian seasoning
salt & pepper
1 1/2-2 c. Cheddar cheese, grated

Heat butter and oil in a large pot over medium heat.  Add the onions, chopped carrots and diced potatoes.  Saute for about 10 minutes or until onions and potatoes are slightly translucent.  Add the garlic and ham and cook another minute or so.  Add one can of chicken broth and bring up to a boil.  Boil until potatoes and carrots are tender.  Add milk and stir to combine.  Dissolve cornstarch in water and add to pot.  Add the can of corn and season with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper (you might not need salt depending on how salty your ham, broth and corn are).  Stir to combine.  Cook until thickened, stirring occasionally. Last, add shredded cheese and stir until smooth and melted.  Serve with sliced baguette.  Serves: 5-6.          

No comments:

Post a Comment

easy apple pie recipe that will rock in your house
betty crocker banana bread recipe 1970 banana nut bread paula deen
that give mcdonalds coupons and 
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from