Friday, 15 October 2010

Skillet Chicken with Mexican Green Rice

Let me just start out by saying "I love America's Test Kitchen".  I think they have so many great recipes and I am never hesitant to try one, because I know it will be good.  So, when I saw this recipe over at Mel's Kitchen Cafe, I knew it could quite possibly be one of my new favorite dishes.  She adapted it from America's Test Kitchen 30-Minute Suppers.  I love that you only have to dirty one skillet and dinner would be ready in 30 minutes.  That is always a plus.  So, how did I like it?  I really liked it.  All the flavors went so well together, the chicken was flavored perfectly and the rice had the perfect amount of spice.  I did not add the spinach, because by the time I cut the recipe in half, I would only need 1/4 cup and I couldn't buy a whole bag of spinach for only 1/4 cup.  Although, I would like to try it with the spinach, so next time I make it, I will have to plan another meal in the week that could use up the extra spinach.  
Skillet Chicken with Mexican Green Rice

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
salt and pepper
2 Tbl. canola oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 poblano peppers, cored, seeded & chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. cumin
2 (10 oz.) cans mild green enchilada sauce
1 1/2 c. long grain white rice
1 1/2 c. water
1/2 c. chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 c. chopped fresh spinach leaves

Gently pat dry the chicken and season lightly with salt and pepper.  In a large, 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat.  Brown chicken on each side until golden, but not cooked all the way through.  Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside.  In the hot skillet, add the onion and poblanos and cook 3-4 minutes or until softened.  Stir in the garlic and cumin and cook for 30 seconds.  Add the enchilada sauce, rice and water.  Stir to combine.  Bring to a boil and set the chicken in simmering rice mixture, nestling them in a bit.  Cover skillet, set heat to low and cook 15-20 minutes, until the rice is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed and the chicken is cooked through, stirring every 5 minutes or so to ensure the rice isn't sticking to the bottom.  Stir in the cilantro and spinach and season with salt and pepper.  Serves: 4-6.  
     

No comments:

Post a Comment