Sunday 3 October 2010

CANDY BAR COOKIES

I had been wanting to try this recipe for a few years now.  It is adapted from a 2007 Better Homes & Gardens magazine.  


It all started, because I wanted to bring a treat to work on Friday, so I flipped through about 4 different cookbooks/magazines until I came across this recipe, so I decided that I should finally make these.  When they were all done, I was worried because they didn't look very pretty (they looked nothing like the picture in the magazine), that they might not taste very good either.  So, I decided not to bring them to work.  Well, when I got home from work on Friday, I decided to taste one, they were actually pretty darn good.  Why didn't I taste them sooner?  They reminded me of a chewy granola bar with chocolate coating. So, I wished I would have taken them to work, because now I might just eat the whole pan myself!  My house must be pretty warm, because the chocolate never hardened.  
Candy Bar Cookies:
adapted from:  2007 Better Homes & Gardens Magazine

1 c. packed light brown sugar
2/3 c. butter
1/4 c. light corn syrup
1/4 c. peanut butter
1 tsp. vanilla
3 1/2 c. quick-cooking oats (I only added 3 cups)
2 c. semisweet chocolate chips (I used milk chocolate)
1 c. butterscotch chips
2/3 c. peanut butter (I didn't add)
1 c. chopped peanuts (I didn't add)


Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  For oat layer, in a large saucepan, stir together brown sugar, butter and corn syrup over medium-low heat until butter is melted and mixture is combined.  Remove saucepan from heat and stir in 1/4 cup peanut butter and vanilla until smooth.  Stir in the oats until combined.  Press oat mixture evenly into an ungreased 9x13 pan.  Bake in preheated oven 10-12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.  Let oat layer cool slightly.  Melt together the chocolate chips and butterscotch chips.  Stir in the 2/3 cup peanut butter until smooth.  Sprinkle half the peanuts over oat layer, if adding.  Slowly pour chocolate mixture over oat layer, spreading evenly.  Sprinkle the remaining peanuts on top of chocolate mixture.  Cool in pan for several hours or until chocolate layer is firm.      

No comments:

Post a Comment

easy apple pie recipe that will rock in your house
betty crocker banana bread recipe 1970 banana nut bread paula deen
that give mcdonalds coupons and 
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from