Tuesday 16 November 2010

Vanilla Cupcakes


I found this cupcake recipe over at Lick-My-Spoon. She described them as moist and light. I love light cupcakes, so I decided to give them a try.  I thought these cupcakes were pretty good, they baked up nice and pretty, however, I think I prefer this Cook's Illustrated recipe a little more.  I wished this new recipe had just a little better flavor.  Also, I had been wanting to try a frosting recipe I found in an America's Test Kitchen cookbook.  I gave it a try, but something didn't work right?  It never sat up, so I had to add some powdered sugar to make it piping consistency.  I frosted half with chocolate frosting and half with vanilla frosting.  Even though my frosting didn't turn out how it was supposed to, it still tasted good.  
Vanilla Cupcakes
adapted from: Lick-My-Spoon

3 c. all purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 c. butter, room temperature
2 c. sugar
4 eggs, room temperature 
1 c. whole milk (I used 2%)
1 tsp. vanilla

Combine flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.  Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each.  Add dry mixture alternately with milk, starting and ending with flour.  Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 20-23 minutes.  Remove from tray and wrap each cupcake individually with saran wrap to seal in moisture.  Cool completely and frost. 

Creamy Vanilla and Chocolate Frosting:
adapted from: America's Test Kitchen

1/2 c. sugar
2 large egg whites
pinch of salt
12 Tbl. unsalted butter, softened and cut into 12 pieces
1 tsp. vanilla
1-2 Tbl. cocoa powder, to taste

1.  Combine the sugar, egg whites and salt in the bowl of a standing mixer, then place the bowl over a pan of simmering water.   Heat the mixture, whisking gently but constantly, until slightly thickened and foamy and it registers 150 degrees on an instant-read thermometer, 2-3 minutes.  
2.  Using the whisk attachment, beat the mixture on medium speed in a standing mixer until reaches the consistency of shaving cream and is slightly cooled, 1-2 minutes.  Add the butter, 1 piece at a time, until smooth and creamy.  (The frosting may look curdled after half of the butter has been added; it will smooth with additional butter).  Once all the butter is added, add the vanilla. Increase speed to medium-high and beat until light, fluffy and thoroughly combined, about 30 seconds (this is when I had to add powdered sugar).  If you want chocolate, add 1 or 2 Tbl. cocoa powder until reaches desired taste. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

easy apple pie recipe that will rock in your house
betty crocker banana bread recipe 1970 banana nut bread paula deen
that give mcdonalds coupons and 
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from